Welcome to St. Matthew’s!
St. Matthew’s is a vibrant, welcoming parish of the Episcopal tradition located in Madison, Alabama. We love welcoming guests to our church, whether you’re just in town for the weekend or are looking for a new church home. We hope you will enjoy your visit with us!
- December 24th, 5:30pm Christmas Eve Holy Eucharist & Children’s program (Nursery provided).
- December 24th, 10:30pm Christmas Eve Holy Eucharist
Every Wednesdays, December 2nd – December 23rd, come join us for our 2015 Advent Series: Finding Bethlehem in the midst of Bedlam. 6:00pm dinner, program starts at 6:30pm.
Christmas of confusion, Bethlehem or bedlam… which will you choose this year?
IT’S ALL ABOUT “THE L&C”: It’s that time of year again, when we joyfully celebrate the Advent season with St. Matthew’s annual Service of Lessons and Carols! This year, the service will be held on Sunday, December 6, at 5:00 PM. A nursery will be available for those with small children; and the service will be followed by a festive reception in Gruman Parish Hall, with much eating, drinking, merrymaking, and good, old-fashioned fellowship. As in years past, the choir has endeavored to offer something for everyone, with a pleasant mix of old and new, familiar and not-so-familiar, in music that spans all genres, eras, categories and personal tastes. The opening carol, for example, is a setting of the traditional “Adam Lay Ybounden” complete with a Medieval melody, but incorporating jazz-infused harmonies and rhythms, and accompanied by nothing less than a real, live, hurdy-gurdy! In contrast, this is followed by… but then, why spoil the surprise? Join us on December 6, and find out for yourself.
… WELL, MAYBE NOT “ALL…”: St. Matthew’s will again offer two special services on Christmas Eve – a family service at 5:30 PM, complete with children’s presentation; then a late-night service beginning at 10:30 PM, and guaranteed to take you into the wee hours of Christmas Day. For those who love Christmas carols, this is your service! Also, as many will have heard by now, Marlene Brown is retiring as our organist, in order to devote her time (and energies!) to her grandchildren and family. Please take a moment during Advent to chat with Marlene, and let her know how much we appreciate her service to our parish. In the meantime, a Search Committee has been formed to secure a new organist for St. Matthew’s. The committee is comprised of members Walt Christopher, Sherry Cox, Elizabeth Rogers, and Dave and Amy West. If you can recommend someone to fill this position, please pass his/her contact information to a committee member. I suspect your input would be welcomed indeed!
The church office will be closed on December 23rd & 24th for the Christmas Holidays. The office will be closed on December 30th & 31st for the New Year holiday. There WILL be noon services on Wednesdays, December 23rd and 30th.
The men of St. Matthew’s meet every third Tuesday for wings & prayer. This month, we will meet on Tuesday, December 15th @6:00pm at Crickets in Madison.
Time and talents were in full force as evidenced by the myriad of volunteers. I would like to add to the old adage “many hands make light work” by what I saw – laughter, friendships, the knowledge something WONDERFUL and good for the soul was also being accomplished! THANKS TO EACH AND EVERYONE! YOU MADE THIS A SUCCESS! Now the ECW will give our treasures to deserving missions, within the church and community. (Please remember, if your committee wants money, then a written request must be in hand to an Executive Board member BEFORE the meeting on the 1st of December.)
Our December 8th regularly scheduled meeting will be held (contact the church office for more information). The slate of officers for the next term will be voted on at this meeting. Their term will begin after the voting. (Please note: There will be NO 10:00 meeting that day.)
There are two Christmas Trees located in the Foyer of the Sanctuary. One is for CASA clients and the other is for Shellie’s Kids. Pick an angel off a tree, sign out on the clipboard, and purchase gifts for your angel. For details on this and other Christmas Outreach opportunities, contact the church office.
Looking for a hands-on way to give back this season of Advent?? Here is your opportunity! We will be gift-wrapping at the Barnes & Noble at Bridge Street again this year to raise money for Kairos Prison Ministry. Supplies are provided so all that is needed are two friendly smiling faces to staff the gift-wrap table for 2-hour shifts. The gift-wrapping is free to B&N customers but the donations received go to Kairos. It is a wonderful and easy fundraiser to support this ministry that helps women whose lives have been impacted by incarceration.
Older teens and people outside the church are welcome to join in the fun- invite your neighbor, book club or Bible study members to share a couple hours for a good cause. If you are interested in taking a shift or 2 or 3, you can contact the church office for more information.
The times we are looking to cover (split into 2 hour shifts) are:
- Saturday & Sunday 12/5/2015 – 12/16/2015 – 1:00 – 4:00 p.m
- Friday 12/11/2015 – Sunday 12/13/2014 – 5:00- 8:00 pm (Fri), 1:00- 4:00 pm (Sat/Sun)
- Friday 12/18/15- Wednesday 12/23/15 – 9:00 am – 9:00 pm
- Thursday 12/24/2015 – 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Advent Program – Finding Bethlehem in the Midst of Bedlam – Wednesday nights, December 2-23, 6:00 supper, 6:30 program. Sign up in the narthex if you will be coming for the provided dinner.
- Children’s Christmas Eve program – we will be performing the “Alphabet Christmas Prayer” this year. If you would like your children ages PreK and up to participate, we will have a practice during the Sunday school hour on December 13. I will also need readers from the Jr. High and Sr. High classes. They will need to be at practice.
- Ladies’ Bible Study – we will only have one meeting for Bible Study in December. We will meet on December 10th for an Advent lesson. We will resume in January with a study of the Acts of the Apostles called “Believing Jesus”.All women are welcome to attend. We meet on Thursday mornings at 9:30.
- Sunday school break – there will be no Sunday school classes December 22 – January 5. Classes will resume January 12. Have a Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!
During the month of December, we collect financial gifts for the church staff to show our appreciation for all they do for us throughout the year. “Special Gift” envelopes will be available inside your Sunday bulletins for you to insert your cash or your check (made payable to St. Matthew’s & noted for “staff gift”). Thank you in advance for your show of love & appreciation for our staff.
- The annual EYC Christmas party, to be held on Friday, December 11th at the Liberty Square Clubhouse (off County Line Rd.), is one of the highlights of the EYC year! Here is how the evening will work:
- 5-7:00 PM, PrEYC party (7th & 8th grades) 7-8:00 PM, Caroling, both Jr. and Sr. High
- 8-10:00 PM, EYC party (9th – 12th grade)
- We will have music, food, and lots of great games! Everyone, please bring a $5-$10 wrapped gift for Dirty Santa and a finger food to share!
- There will be no Second Sunday or Pizza With the Padre in December. These activities will resume in January.
8:30am - Holy Eucharist, Traditional
11:00am - Holy Eucharist, Traditional
5:00pm - Holy Eucharist, Contemporary
12:00pm - Holy Eucharist, Traditional
Visit our worship page for more information.